Have you tried our intermediate-level Discussion Starters lesson about “The American Dream”?
In this lesson, your students will get a chance to complete this sentence:
My definition of the American dream is…
Here is a video that you may want to share with your students before or after you try our ready-made lesson. This video could also inspire your students to write and record their own selfie video about what the American dream means to them.
The American Dream
In this video, Americans from “all walks of life” were interviewed about their own definition of the American dream. Teach your students the expression “all walks of life.” After you show the video, ask your students to decide which of the following align the closest with their own definition of the American dream.
- to live in a nice house with a nice family and to be happy
- to be a millionaire
- to be able to work hard and to be able to really achieve greatness
- to have the chance to make a better life than what I had growing up
- to be able to pursue the job that I want to pursue
- to be able to live where I want to live
- to really prosper the way I want to
- to be able to go to school
- to have freedom to pursue my dreams
Find related videos on our YouTube channel in the playlist called The American Dream.