2014 is the Year of the Horse! Will your class be learning about Chinese New Year this year? Chinese New Year begins on the first day of the lunar calendar, and lasts for 15 days. This year, Chinese New Year begins on Friday, January 31st. You can try our ready-made Chinese New Year lesson plan anytime between now and mid-February (or try it at another time of year when you’re doing a unit on culture and traditions). You will find our Chinese New Year lesson plan in the Holidays section of our Lesson Plan Library. English learners around the world will have fun learning vocabulary, idioms, and expressions related to the color red. This supplementary lesson plan is suitable for intermediate to high-intermediate English learners. It is one of the most popular lesson plans in our Lesson Plan Library!
Our ready-made Chinese New Year lesson plan includes:
- a pre-reading listening podcast (optional) Listen here on our blog or on iTunes
- a two-page reading about the history and traditions associated with Chinese New Year
- comprehension questions
- vocabulary review activities
- a pair information gap task (a holiday schedule)
- pair discussion questions
- a Find Someone Who follow-up game (reviewing “red” idioms)
- answer Key/teachers’ notes
NOTE: If you are a long-term subscriber, be sure to print out our most recent version of this lesson plan. We have made a few edits and there have been some design changes since last year. That is the beauty of a digital library!
Happy New Year!