Podcast: Detective Series for English Learners

The Case of the Missing Ring (Audio coming May 1) This podcast features a sneak preview of ESL-Library’s detective series, with listening files from the first two lessons and an intro from the author.

Have you tried our Detective Series in your English class? We are pleased to announce that the audio files will be added to this series on May 1st. Your students will be able to listen to the recordings as they read along in the series. The audio will help them make whodunnit predictions. They can fill also in the blanks in the dialogues with the new idioms they learn. We are very excited that Detective Bossley and all of the suspects from The Case of the Missing Ring now have voices.  The series includes 11 lessons, 3 vocabulary checkpoints, and 3 quizzes.  Teacher’s notes are also available. If your students have questions for the author, please send them our way!

Please introduce your students to our FREE podcasts. These can act as a preview to our Mini-Biography, Discussion Starter, Grammar Story, and Holiday lessons. They can also serve as extra listening homework to help your learners develop an understanding of the rhythm of English. Some teachers use our weekly podcast (posted every Wednesday) as a warm up for an online tutoring session. If you like using our podcasts with your English learners, check out iTunes to see which other podcasts our listeners enjoy! Don’t forget to update your iTunes subscription to our NEW podcast feed.

1. ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:45 pm

We are busy at work on a NEW Detective series. Please share your feedback about the first series. Thanks!

2. ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Ms. Foster!

“I have used this series three times now with my students and have had lots of positive comments…am waiting for the sequel to come out…has Detective Bossley set sail yet??? Can’t wait!!!
    L. Foster”

3. ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm

“Dear ESL library administrators!

I would like to re-new my membership with you for another

year. I share your ESL lessons with a few friends here in

Québec. One member fell in love with Bossley from the

Detective Series and is always quoting him!

Your work is constantly expanding and extremely well

organized! Congratulations to your work teams.

So, add my name to your membership again.

Sincerely,

Yvonne”

4. ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm

“I would like to congratulate you and thank you for the Detective series. It was a hit with my students, who loved the format that created expectation and curiosity. It also facilitated conversation, since students were eager to discuss their hypotheses and opinions on the different characters. I suggest you develop other stories and treat us to new versions of these delightful lessons.”

Sincerely,
    L. Bastos
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil

5. Bryce Tanner says:

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Hi,

I just finished this series with my most advanced class. It picked up momentum around Episode 6, and my students had identified many points of conflict and interest. They enjoyed the investigative process immensely, as did I. It really is quite a good concept for English practice, and I thank you for that.

However, the finale proved to be quite disappointing, for both myself and my students. Almost all points of interest they had identified were left unanswered, and some even seem to be holes in the plot. But all of these have been left hanging, under the guise of a possible “to be continued”.

While I can certainly understand the motive to create context for further discussion at the end of the series, nobody likes invest weeks of their time listening, discussing and analyzing a mystery story, only to be denied the truth to match against their hypotheses. Mysteries need to be solved.

I really like this series. It built well, and created a lot of opportunities for discussion. But truth be told, I have halted this study in 5 other classes until I find time to write an alternative ending which satisfactorily covers the questions that need to be answered. I just hope I can do justice to the work done by the author from Episodes 1 to 8.

Thanks again,

Bryce

• Tara Benwell says:

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hi Bryce,

Thanks so much for your feedback. We have received plenty of positive feedback about the Detective series, and I’m always very appreciative when the office shares letters from teachers and students who loved Detective Bossley. This was our first attempt at doing a mystery English series. It was a really fun project, and as a team we certainly put a lot of time and effort into working it all out. Though many teachers have requested quizzes and reviews over the past few years (we have since added these), you are the first, to my knowledge, to request an alternative ending. As the author, I must admit that I was disappointed to hear that you and your students weren’t satisfied with the ending (though like any piece of fiction, this is to be expected). We have had many requests for a sequel, but we have been busy working on Everyday Idioms 3 this year. I would love to hear your ideas for some alternative endings. We do have a new editor on staff, and in the future, if we receive similar concerns from teachers, we may decide to work out any holes that are brought forward. On the other hand, it might be fun to have your students write a letter to me. I would be happy to respond to a few questions about the mystery!

If you want to discuss this further via email, please don’t hesitate to contact me: tara@redriverpress.com.

Thanks again for writing!

Cheers,
      Tara

• Bryce Tanner says:

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hi Tara,

Thanks for your reply. Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not requesting an alternative ending. Your team is happy with the story, and it seems other posters are too. No problem.
        The alternative ending is something I’ll do myself.

I don’t want to put any spoilers on a public page, so I’ll mail you in detail later.

Bryce

• ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Hi Bryce,

Thanks so much for your email today! I look forward to discussing this with you more. Your students really got into this series! It’s wonderful to hear. I can’t wait to read your alternative ending.

Talk soon,
          Tara

6. John hanies says:

Jun 04, 2011 at 11:41 am

You have a great blog here and it is Nice to read some well written posts,very interesting article some facts are very surprising..i like your blog

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed.