TESOL 17 Presentation
Seattle, Thursday, March 23, 10:30–11:15, Room #616
In a recent post on Top Tips for Presenting at ELT Conferences, our guest blogger, Shelly Terrell, recommended that presenters sum up with the three most important points from their session. Here are some takeaways from this session.
- Help your students get to know you and each other by bringing in authentic materials that are meaningful to you (check your kitchen counters). Also choose content that is of high interest to many people (trending, viral, ELT community).
- Creatively grade the task for the level of learner and/or language target.
- Blend authentic content with well-formatted, ready-made ELT materials that your students are comfortable with. Experiment with when to use the authentic content (warm-up, follow-up, assessment).
ESL Library Materials
Here are some ESL Library materials that blend with authentic materials from this presentation:
- Resources: American Vs. Canadian Spelling/ Spring Idioms Poster
- Flashcards: Birds / Animals & Wildlife
- Functional English: Saying Goodbye / Making Excuses / Saying Sorry
- Writing in English: How to Write a Note / How to Write a Short Story
- Group Project: Human Rights
- Mini Debates: Gun Control
- Blog: Hope Vs. Wish Blog Post
- Grammar: Second Conditional / Present Progressive
- Traveling in English: Going Through Security / Going Through Customs
- Discussion Starters: Gender Inequality / Consumerism / Pokémon GO
Sources & Further Reading
Here are the sources used in this presentation and while researching this topic.
- Fluent U: 4 Creative Ways to Use Authentic Materials
- #ELTChat: What is the Best Way to Exploit Authentic Materials?
- ITESLJ: Authentic Materials and Cultural Content in ESL Classrooms
- ELT Resourceful: Exploiting Authentic Materials and Videos and Authentic of Graded? Is there a middle way?
- Simple English: Recap on Reverse Reading
- Education World: The Educator’s Guide to Copyright and Fair Use
- Fair Use Checklist
- MaWSIG: Writing to Promote Gender Equality
- Lexico Blog: Making Authentic Texts Manageable
- Book: The Organized Mind
- RSS Newsfeed: Maplandia
- 9 Ways to Practice English with Pokemon GO!
- Professor’s BBC Interview Interrupted By Kids
- Parody of Viral BBC Dad Interview
- Photos: ELT Pics
- Jennifer Louden’s Blog: How One Metaphor Can Change Everything
- Authentic Materials: Grading the Task
- ESL Library Blog: Authentic Materials
Thanks for visiting our blog and attending our sessions!