When to Use Hyphens: Rules for Multiple-Word Adjectives

Sort out these pain-in-the-butt adjective rules once and for all!

Create your own cartoons for teaching English.

Hyphens. Such a tiny punctuation mark, yet hyphens can confound ESL students and native speakers alike. Don’t let these little dashes scare you—the rules for their use within multiple-word adjectives are actually quite simple. It’s just a matter of placement within a sentence. Follow the rules below to achieve hyphenated-adjective perfection!

1. Use hyphens before nouns.

If the multiple-word adjective comes before a noun, use hyphens.

Examples:

• She gave me an up-to-date report.
  • We used computer-generated images in our presentation.
  • After the reading exercise, answer these follow-up questions.

This rule is especially common with TIME, MONEY, and DISTANCE. Note that adjectives never take an “s.”

Examples:

• We have a five-minute break in our morning class. (NOT five-minutes break)
  • The clerk handed me a 100-dollar bill.
  • I went for a 20-kilometer run this morning.

What about using adverbs and adjectives together? Be careful here. Most adverb/adjective combinations will NOT be hyphenated. One common exception is with the adverb well.

Examples:

• Lady Gaga is a very famous singer. (NOT very-famous singer)
  • The second presenter was a less interesting speaker. (NOT less-interesting)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien is a well-known author. (This is the exception.)

2. Don’t use hyphens after verbs.

When the multiple-word adjective (or phrase involving a quantifier or adjective + noun) comes after the main verb (or is the main verb), do NOT use hyphens. Let’s take a look at the previous examples:

• Her report was up to date.
  • The images in our presentation were computer generated.
  • We followed up the reading exercise with comprehension questions .
  • Our morning class break is five minutes. (Note: Now that we don’t need a hyphen, we must follow the normal rules for forming the plural, so we need to use an “s.”)
  • The clerk handed me 100 dollars.
  • I ran for 20 kilometers this morning.
  • J.R.R. Tolkien is well known.

Conclusion:

Use hyphens if the multiple-word adjective comes before a noun, otherwise don’t use hyphens.

Are there exceptions? Unfortunately, there are always exceptions. For example, the adjective good-looking is always hyphenated, no matter the position in the sentence. (A good-looking guy waved at me this morning. / He is good-looking.) However, I’d say that this rule works over 90% of the time.

I hope this blog post helped clarify this well-known problem!

1. mymonopolylife@yahoo.com'

Maria says:

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm

“20th-century inspired tapestry” or “20th century-inspired tapestry” or “20th-century-inspired tapestry”? Thank you so much!

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Maria,

“20th-century-inspired tapestry” is the clearest form. Don’t forget to spell out “twentieth” if it is the first word in a sentence. :)

2. gary.miller@ict.ekservices.org'

Gary Miller says:

Jan 03, 2017 at 4:45 am

I’m struggling with longer phrases, such as ‘technical asset renewal programme’, which I have seen in a document, where it appears with no hyphens. I think it should be written as ‘technical-asset-renewal programme’, but I’m not 100% sure of the second hyphen. Can you give any guidance on this, please?

Jan 04, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, there are many cases where it would make sense to hyphenate modifiers but it’s more common not to. My own pet peeve is “English language learners.” You could definitely say “English-language learners” because the “learners” are learning the “English language,” but it’s not common, so I try not to do it. I think it’s because you could also say the “language learners” are learning “English,” so “English language learners” doesn’t need hyphens.

Compare this with “five-minute break.” The “minute break” isn’t “five.” The “break” is “five minutes,” so we need the hyphen.

In your example, I would say that you could hyphenate (the “programme” is a “technical-asset-renewal” one), but it’s not necessary (and probably not as common). I’d stick to no hyphens if you can break it down another way (e.g., the “renewal program” is a “technical asset” one).

3. julie_water@yahoo.com'

Julie Waterman says:

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:55 am

Thanks, Tanya. Your comments were very helpful. I just have one question: Since “good-looking” should always have a hyphen regardless of its position in the sentence, why does yourdictionary.com show it without a hyphen in its first listing: http://www.yourdictionary.com/good-looking?

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Hi Julie,

Unfortunately, not all dictionaries agree! At ESL Library, we follow these reputable dictionaries, which all list “good-looking” with a hyphen:
      – Merriam-Webster for US spelling: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/good-looking
      – Oxford Dictionaries for UK spelling: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/good-looking
      – Oxford Canadian for Canadian spelling (not online—my paperback version’s entry is only “good-looking”)

It’s tough (and confusing for students) when dictionaries don’t agree, but that’s the reality of some words in English. It’s interesting that yourdictionary.com also has an entry for “good-looking” with the hyphen. For this word, since most dictionaries prefer the hyphenated term and don’t even list the unhyphenated version as an alternative, I’d stick with “good-looking.”

4. myllerremote@aol.com'

Brian Myller says:

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the guidance. Could you please comment on the use of hyphens in the following sentence from a resume bullet:

25 Years of experience applying systems-, decision-, and communication-science to help clients improve venture success.

Thank you!

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hi Brian,

I wouldn’t use a hyphen before the word “science” in this sentence. Are you sure that “systems science” and “decision science” are correct? I might reword like this: “25 years’ experience helping clients improve venture success” or “25 years’ experience helping clients improve venture success by providing communication and decision-making guidance.”

Best of luck to you!

5. alovesj@hotmail.com'

Angie says:

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:56 am

Thanks! This was very helpful!

6. marbessa81@gmail.com'

Marcia says:

May 17, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thank you very much for your help with this tricky grammar topic.

May 19, 2015 at 4:08 pm

You’re welcome, Marcia! Thanks for your comment. :)