Podcast: Labour Day

Holidays & Events: Labour Day

Labour Day didn’t start out as a day of relaxation. It started out as a day to fight for workers’ rights. Labour Day celebrates the labour union movement, which recommended eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation and eight hours for sleep. If you’re teaching in Canada, this is the perfect week to do a lesson on the history of Labour day.

Today’s podcast offers an audio preview of our¬†Holidays & Events lesson plan on Labour Day. The full lesson comes with a warmup, a reading, comprehension and discussion questions, and a vocabulary review.¬†Thank you to Penny (a hard working teacher and subscriber) for requesting this lesson. We also have a ready-made lesson on the American holiday: Labor Day (US).

93_Labour-Day-Canada_Can

1. evelyn.tremblay@videotron.ca'

Evelyn Tremblay says:

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:42 am

Tis is a grest lesson. My students loved it becsuse now they know about Labour Day and the avtivities are well done. However, I would have liked to have an audio for the Canadian Labor Day lesson.
    Thank you so much.

• Tara Benwell says:

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:21 am

Hi Evelyn. I’m glad your students enjoyed this lesson. Thanks for letting us know that the audio was missing on the site for the Canadian lesson. I’ve just added it! Have a great long weekend.
      Tara

2. josannesalva@gmail.com'

Josanne Joyjoy Salvaleon says:

Feb 06, 2016 at 5:26 am

You are absolutely right. One cannot stop learning.
    I like learning about the English language, too. I’m a Filipino but a big fan of the American culture. I take English lessons at Preply by Skype. I like it because my teacher incorporates culture facts into our lessons. It’s always interesting everytime!

3. info@gotravelenglish.com'

Skype English Lessons says:

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:08 am

One of the things I like best about teaching is not only learning more about my native language, but also learning more about my culture. I knew about labour day and it’s significance, however some of these articles remind me I still have learning to do about my own home. Thanks!

4. ESL Library Staff says:

Sep 07, 2011 at 1:23 pm

We will add it to the request list. Thanks Terri!

5. tkasper67@comcast.net'

terri Kasper says:

Sep 06, 2011 at 10:26 pm

my question is above

6. tkasper67@comcast.net'

terri Kasper says:

Sep 06, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Could I get the American version of the history of Labor Day?